sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My Mitsubishi Lancer MX Touring has the neutral light

Customer Question

Hi my Mitsubishi Lancer MX Touring has the neutral light blinking and doesn't gear up or down when this starts. The gear are stuck on no.3 whether you accelerate or brake to a standstill. The details are Mitsubishi Lancer MX Touring
MODEL E-CK2A SRPM
CHASIS CK2A -(###) ###-####ENGINE 4G1
EXT A69D
YOM 1998 Thank you
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: I have never changed the transmission since I bought the car. YOM 1998. No I have not checked the brake switch.
JA: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Once you switch off the engine and start again, the gears go to normal then after a while the problem starts again.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The transmission is in limp in. When the transmission control module isn't awake for whatever reason or it sees a failure and sets a fault code then the trans will stay in a single gear.

There are many possible causes for limp in and it will take some testing to determine what is going on. The problem could be the TCM itself, speed sensors, solenoids, wiring, and internal trans issues.

The first thing that will need to be done is use a scan tool or code reader to see if the TCM communicates, and if so what fault codes are set, and then testing cane be done from there.