Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 2010 nissan maxima sv, 137k. I have had no previous

transmission issues or warning signs...
I have a 2010 nissan maxima sv, 137k. I have had no previous transmission issues or warning signs before this. I was driving 35 mph and all of a sudden I began to hear a whining noise and my car gradually slowed down until it came to a complete stop. I have absolutely no power at the wheels and rpm will go no higher than 1500-2000. I recently had the valve covers replaced due to a leaking seal in the rear cover causing the car to smoke from the tail pipe. After examining the engine I noticed that the plastic pully mechanism on the intake manifold was damaged causing the damper inside the manifold to remain shut restricting airflow. After turning the ignition off for a few minutes then turning it back on, the engine would rev normally and the car would go into drive and reverse, but after a few minutes It would lose power and rpm would only go up to 1500-2000 rpm. I fixed the plastic pully mechanism but the issue still persist. I towed the car to nissan and was told that the transmission was shot. I have never heard of a transmission going out all of a sudden with no warning whatsoever. Could it be the Mass Airflow Sensor or some other sensor or valve that is causing this? I had no CHECK ENGINE light or CVT light on the dash. It seems that if the CVT was damaged it would light up on the dash.
Login | Contact Us | About Us | Terms of Service | Privacy & Security | Sitemap
© 2003-2016 JustAnswer LLC
10/14/2016
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
  • Nothing on the engine will prevent the transaxle from engaging this is a trans concern. Are you planning to fix this yourself?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You did not answer my question
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Maxima will shut itself down if there is any issue that could possibly cause damage. It could be that I have a bad sensor, it does not necessarily indicate a trans issue.

I wrote "Nothing on the engine will prevent the transaxle from engaging this is a trans concern. Are you planning to fix this yourself?" on the 14th but you never responded.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This seems like a scam I paid $28 and I have yet to get any real help from anyone. I am working on it myself.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bad Sensors and valves under the hood can cause the car to go into safety mode which will kill all power to the Trans. On a 2010 maxima, I am already familiar with this. I just need help to diagnose the source. I do not think it is the transmission at all.

I believe there is transmission damage, the dealer has said there is transmission damage. You said the wheels are getting no power from the transmission. Although you say it is not the transmission to blame. I feel like the focus should be on what inside the trans has failed and how to address it. It is your car though and your time and money, if you want to go after other possible causes I will try to help you work through those, but I will not be able to say check X or Y or Z since I feel like that is going to lead you no further to a resolve.

So tell me what you would like to do, or what you want to check and I will help you do that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have read blogs and numerous people have had the exact same issue. In most cases they were told by the dealer that they had transmission failure, but it was later discovered that it was just The Mass Airflow Sensor or some other sensor or valve that was actually the source. The dealer was trying to get more money out of me. I initially took my car in for a small oil leak then get my car back and Ironically My Transmission goes out 2 weeks later with no warning signs whatsoever. Im not buying that. Plus they damanged the damper on my intake manifold so I was driving around with no airflow into my engine. It has to be something other than the transmission.

So your question is how to test the MAF sensor?

Do you have a scan tool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I do not have a scan tool, I was going to clean the MAF Sensor and the EGR valve to see if anything changes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After I clean them, How do I test them if nothing changes?

You can test an EGR valve by applying vacuum to it. If it makes the engine run rough then the valve is working.

On the MAF I would need you to back probe and tell me the voltage reading on each color wire while idling and I need your zip code.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will get back to you as soon as I get to it. ZipCode is 27406.

Greensboro is at 702 - 850 ft. I will use that to see if your MAF readings are right.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks.

Your welcome

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician