Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

Came home ,when to put in reverse and shifter would not go

Customer Question

came home ,when to put in reverse and shifter would not go past neutral .Car would start restart in neutral . Then I tried to move shifter to reverse again with the key on and motor not running and it when in to park but then it would not start. Shifter lever seems loose now.
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: i don't know
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2002 cl500
JA: Are you fixing your CL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain,,it sounds as if the shift rod has come loose or is damaged

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbnmc7b9ot31qel/1012-cl-Remove.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/jbnmc7b9ot31qel/1012-cl-Remove.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help