Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 2003 vw gti 1.8t with a o9a tiptronic and the

Customer Question
transmission selector lever position display...
I have a 2003 vw gti 1.8t with a o9a tiptronic and the transmission selector lever position display and my speedometer and gear shift indicator light all went out my trans. drives but is real slow in taking off and has a code that says no communication from tcm
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
10/3/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results.

Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!!

I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best. I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I DO NEED SOME MORE INFO

1. I DO NEED A VIN # OF THE VEHICLE
  2. ANY RECENT REPAIRS BEFORE THIS OCCURRED?
  3. ANY RECENT ACCIDENTS?
  4. ANY WATER LEAKS INSIDE THE VEHICLE?
  5. DO YOU HAVE A DIGITAL VOLT METER?

THANKS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
vin# ***** 2003 vw/gti/2dr/1.8t/ o9a trans.
took it in to vw of corpus Christi on 9/9/16 for a transmission fluid/filter service and picked up on 9/10/16 the tech wrote on the ticketcompleted trans. service and vehicle shifts ok miles in 97,074 and out 97,078 my car has 97092 on it right now I was looking at the ticket and they put the wrong fluid in it they put in g-052-162-a2 instead of g-052-990-a2 so informed them of the mistake and took two days to get back to me and asked me to bring it back in that's when all this happened
no wrecks
no water leaks
yes I have a meter and very mech. inclined
thanks

THAT IS NOT GOOD AT ALL . BY MIXTURE OF THE 2 FLUIDS THE TRANS IS NO GOOD!!!

GOOD CHANCE THE TCM IS NO GOOD . I HAD A COUPLE GO BAD IN THE FIELD . WE NEED TO CHECK POWER AND GROUND AT THE TCM PLUG

LETS FIRST CHECK FUSE 31 MAKE SURE IT IS GOOD AND YOU HAVE 12 VOLTS AT THE FUSE .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've got 10.45 volts

WHAT IS THE BATTERY VOLTAGE AT THE BATTERY?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IT WAS THE SAME BUT I CHARGED IT UP OVERNIGHT

ok !! good then check for voltage on pin 68 to pin 1at tcu and 45 to pin 1 then 68 to pin 24 and the same 45 to pin 24 with the key on please!!

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
68 to 1 0volts
45 to 1 11.38 volts
68 to 24 o volts
45 to 24 11.33

ok the next thing you need to do is on the drivers side under the wiper motor is a black cover . remove the cover and you will see connectors . the gray connector is the one to check . disconnect the connector and measure with the key on pin 1 of the gray connector to battery ground . what is the voltage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok the disconnected part has female pins the voltage is 0 from 1 to neg.
the connecter at the base is male with male pins the voltage is 11.4the harness side is 0 volts the base side is 11.4 volts

then there is an open from the connector gray to pin 68 of the ecu!!!

start peeling the harness and look for that wire and repair the broken wire .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech