Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

960 Volvo Wagon Automatic - Shifter will not move from park

Customer Question
960 Volvo Wagon Automatic - Shifter...
960 Volvo Wagon Automatic -
Shifter will not move from park to drive -
the car starts - I replaced: The Shifter at 350 bucks -
The Bake sensor works as well -
Note: When the car is on the lift - I can from under the car move the gears -
This is an electrical issue -
Question: what is the electrical issue preventing this car to shift from park to drive or ect???
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
960 Volvo Wagon Automatic -
The Bake sensor works as well -Note: When the car is on the lift - I can from under the car move the gears -
This is an electrical issue -
9/24/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chris
This is not a transmission issue - the car moves into gear - its something electrical thats preventing the shifter to move from park to another gear - yes, the car starts as well - replaced the shifter sensor - the shifter and you can hear the sensor click when you press down on the brake... its been looked over and I just can't understand whats with it - it only has 60,000 miles

While watching the shift lock can you see if it moves when the key is on and the brake is pressed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The shift lock - you can see it moves when the key is on and the brake is pressed.
Note: Override switch is failing as well on the shifter - this is a feature that allows you to move it into gear if its stuck in park.

It should be releasing in both cases manual over ride and when the brake is pressed based on your comments plus the fact you replaced the shifter. This sounds more like the shifter can not move a bound up shift cable. If you disconnect the cable from the shifter can you manually push and pull the cable and change through all gears?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing - No Luck - disconnected cable - replaced shifter and sensor - NOTHING
Remember the car starts - but, will it not come out of PARK.

Just so I understand you removed the shift cable from the shifter and the cable will not move in and out manually, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct

Since the shift cable will not mvoe then the concern is the cable or at the transmission. So we need to disconnect the cable from the transmission and try to shift it manually there as well as try the shift cable again while disconnected at both ends.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician