Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Have a chev 350 TH. At low speeds in 3rd gear it will go

Customer Question
into neutral or free wheel...
have a chev 350 TH. At low speeds in 3rd gear it will go into neutral or free wheel until I give it some gas then it will 'clunk' back into gear. The trans has 3000 mi since being rebuilt. the trans shop says this is ok. I dont think so, very anoying
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Not a gas hog, runs and starts just fine. Is's a mild 350+ in a 1937 Olds Touring
JA: What year is your Touring?
Customer: 1937, nice cruser and shows well
JA: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The trans is still under warrenty so I will not touch it. Other than that I do all my own work. have had it back to trans shop two times ??
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just would like to know what might be doing this so I might sound like I know something when I take it back again
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2016
Transmission Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Even though you have results of some of this,

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:

Check fluid level and color.Make appropriate repairs.

Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and this is the easiest way to check them.

Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside pan.

Check valve body and clutches visually.

Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just were a bit low on fluid. I'm unsure of what year that trans is, i didn't see it mentioned.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor