Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Binds up in first gear, 60000, no, 2001 sw1, yes, reman

Customer Question
binds up in first gear JA...
binds up in first gear
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 60000 , no
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 2001 sw1
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, reman valve body
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: doesn't slam in gear , reverse is fine , shifts fine but seems like its chained to a tree in first gear , really have to get on it to get it to move
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
facing a downhill grade it will naturally roll freely in neutral, but will stop like applying the brake when shifted into drive
9/8/2016
Transmission Mechanic: xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician

any codes? any slippage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
none

and your sure its the transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what else could it possibly be ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put it on the lift and it goes in reverse just fine , wheels turn freely in neutal , but in drive you really have to give the gas to get the wheels to turn

you sure the conveter is not plugged?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
clear

then you have a internal pressure loss in the unit have you checked line pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no , what should the pressure be ?

LINE PRESSURE TEST

Zoom Sized for Print

IMPORTANT: Be sure to perform both "Stepped Pressure Test" and "Maximum/Minimum Pressure Test" of the "Line Pressure Test."

STEPPED PRESSURE TEST
Run engine to bring transaxle to running temperature of 70°C (158°F).
Turn engine off.
Remove transaxle fluid temperature sensor and install pressure gauge.
Reinstall temperature sensor in wire harness.
Connect the Scan tool.
Key On engine Off. On first menu selection, select "Special Functions."
Select Line Pressure.
Transaxle in Park.
Scan tool will prompt you to start engine.
Select Run and the test will begin. The test will set engine speed to 1500 rpm and command line pressure up in steps from 396 - 1518 kPa (57 - 220 psi) in 100 kPa (15 psi) intervals.
As test is in progress, watch the gauge to assure the gauge readings follow the commanded pressures. Use a dry erase marker to mark the face of the gauge because it will be difficult to record the readings in time.

Zoom Sized for Print

MAXIMUM/MINIMUM PRESSURE TEST
Oil pressure maximum and minimum values at idle should be checked using the following procedure:
IMPORTANT: For proper reverse operation, it is important to have at least 1206 kPa (175 psi) of system pressure in reverse at 70°C (158°F).
With gauge connected and bans at operating temperature.
With engine idling in Park, line pressure should be 400 - 600 kPa (58 - 72 psi).
Remove line pressure fuse (10 amp TRS LP) UHJB.
With engine idling in P (Park), pressure should be 1206 - 1690 kPa (175 - 245 psi).
NOTE: High value may be slightly lower if transaxle temperature is greater than 110°C (230°F).

IMPORTANT: With engine in Park, and the 10 amp TRS LP line pressure fuse removed. minimum pressure should be 1206 kPa (175 psi).

Remove pressure gage, install temperature sensor, use Saturn P/N 21485278 sealant with Tenons on threads (or equivalent). After the sensor has been connected, clear diagnostic trouble codes caused by having the sensor disconnected. Torque:
Sensor - Transaxle Fluid Temperature Sensor-to-Case: 8 Nm (71 inch lbs.)

xsvectOR
xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician