Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2001 Sequoia stuck in "neutral" position trying to come out

Customer Question

2001 Sequoia stuck in "neutral" position trying to come out of 4WD. Can shift transmision gears but won't engage. Won't work in 4H, or 4L.
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: nice and clean...in limits
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. We tested conitinuity on ADD and actuator swithches. ADD motors "hums" and can hear actiator "click" over. Pins voltage check for 2H...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: My original OEM actuator looks different than the '01 actuator that Toyota shows...does't have the "triangle" access on side to remove gear
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

On the transfer case can you remove the shift motor and manually shift it into 2wd?

Do you own a volt meter and scan tool to diagnose the 4wd system?

With the shift motor off and the 4x4 commanded to shift, does the shift motor move? If it does then your looking at internal issues in the transfer case to blame for this concern.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a voltmeter/multimeter and very familiar with using it.Not sure on shift motor removal and how to manually shift...can you walk me thru that or pix. My transfer actuator on the rear of transfer case doesnt have the "triangle" three screw access playe to remove the gear to the actuato rod...so not sure how to get it off...if thats what were taking about.I have the toyota factory maintenance manual...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should read "...three screw access panel" above
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The continuity on the two switches (H) and (L) on acuator are good, so is the ADD motor, and actuator pins check good voltage for 2H...actuator shift fork pins 3-4 continuity checks

Since you have a volt meter you should be able to do most of the tests needed to see why the transfer case will not shift. Use the links below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/seqtest.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/seq4x4.pdf

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Electrical tests/ continuity good. I took the actuator cap off, three pins and electrical contacts clean. Manually rotated the the large gear completely clockwise (think thats 2H position)...still in 4F or Free/neutral

With the transfer case shifted manually and it did not change gears this means the shift cam is broken or the shift forks inside are worn. Going into the transfer case is next.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You never explained how to manually shift the actuator...
Whatever this forum is it obviously isn't working.
Thanks and goodbye