Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My daughter has a 2003 Protege5 that she was having issues…

Customer Question
My daughter has a...

My daughter has a 2003 Protege5 that she was having issues shifting out of park. I taught her how to use the emergency shift lock override. Unfortunately she ended up breaking the override so now it will shift without the car being started. Can tha tpice be replaced by itself or does the whole shifter need to be replaced?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

Not sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, if possible. All I've done so far is to remove the shifter/console covers to discover the issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?

Just that it is an automatic with the sportmode shifter. ok.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
8/30/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
  • I show this part only sold with a complete shifter though used parts would work.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris