Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2000 ford 7.3 with 4r100 330000 miles no tranny codes or

Customer Question

2000 ford 7.3 with 4r100 330000 miles no tranny codes or engine codes no harsh shifting but tough to explain but doesn't feel like there is a shift into 2nd gear even tho with snap on scanner hooked up it says it does and to get it into 3rd got to let it rev up to 3000 rpm and let off then goes in fine goes into 4th (o/d) no problem
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok

is this the original transmission ?

so it does not feel it is engaging 2nd gear even though the scanner shows it correct ?

also you need to rev up to 3000 rpm to engage 3rd like , you trying build up line pressure to let it shift

fluid been checked & trans service performed ?

was there any debris found in fluid if it was replaced ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
original transmission. And correct on the 2nd gear reving it up because it won't go into 3rd but when you let off it does shift to 3rd. I'm just troubleshooting right now just pulled it in the shop after the test drive and scan so no idea on fluid condition.

ok i see,

why dont you check the fluid and let me know , but it looks like it will need a tear down

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yup trying to stay out of the tranny was really hoping something in the pan. Valve body or solenoid pack was my thought because all gears are good it just won't shift like it should. Any reason why I may not be correct?

it is not acting like a valve body or a solenoid pack issue , but i would ohm out all my solenoids make sure all good

and dropping that pan and inspecting will be a key of what you find

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
your thought is that the 2nd and 3rd/rev. Clutch packs are slipping and the second gear shift piston isn't stuck open nor are any pathways in the accumulator body clogged. And you don't believe the solenoid pack, any of them are not working correctly. You just wana jump to needs a full tear down
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The previous tech has opted out, would you like me to help?

So far a direct clutch pressure issue looks to be to blame.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not happy with the responses to my question. Thanks anyway

You do realize there are 2 different techs trying to help you. What would you like me to do with this post now that you do not want help?