Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Transmission problem. Car makes loud noise on 1st, 2nd and

Customer Question
Transmission problem. Car makes loud noise...
Transmission problem.
Car makes loud noise on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears but drives smoothly on 4th and 5th gears.
Please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
8/13/2016
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the noise only happens in certain gears then there is a very good chance that the problem is bearing noise in the transmission. If it were tires, wheel bearings or a differential issue then it should be present in al gears, but depending on the characteristics road noise may drown it out some at higher speeds.

Can you describe the noise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I'm unable to talk on the phone but can continue here as necessary.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
History about the car. 3 days ago, the car stopped on the road. It wouldn't move on drive or reverse, but on neutral, it tries to go. we pushed it to the side, I noticed that the transmission fluid was low. I put 2 quartz of fluid and let it run for few minutes. I was able to drive it on drive and it shifts without any problem but 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears make noise like vibrating. I took it to a mechanic the next day to have to fluid drained and put genuine Mitsubishi SPIII fluid.
Now I notice that it still vibrate on the gears I noted but it drives smoothly on 4th an 5th gears.
This morning when I checked the fluid I found out there is too much fluid. Can that be the problem?
The car is not leaking any fluid

Is it chattering at shift points?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it does not at shift point. It shifts just normally

It's actually a noise that you're hearing rather than something that you feel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At first I thought it wast the transfer case and later I thought it was the differential but now I really think it is the transmission.

Can you describe the noise in detail?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I should say it drags on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears but just fine on 4th and 5th

Your last post said that it was not something felt but something heard.

Are you hearing a noise, feeling something abnormal, or both?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's both. You feel it and you hear it too. Once the car switch to gear 4 then it goes away. Someone was driving it right now and he told me that it drags. He mentioned the torque converter and I was thinking about it too

Please describe exactly what you are feeling and hearing. I am not there to be able to feel and here the issue in person so I can only rely on information posted to this page. Please include as much detail as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shuddering, grinding noise

If there is a grinding noise and shudder coming from the transmission it indicates internal failure. If the transmission had disengaged while driving and the problem wasn't actually a broken CV joint (it wouldn't be intermittent), the initial problem was due to internal failure.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician