Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

99 Subaru legacy hesitates and slams really hard going down

Customer Question

99 Subaru legacy hesitates and slams really hard going down the freeway when using the passing gear?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 135,000 and just resealed engine, trans did not seem to leak but did service it.
JA: What year is your Legacy?
Customer: 99
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am a mechanic by trade. I replaced both trans filters and new fluid, also has a new trans mount? hopping it is something I can fix without removing the trans.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i don't know the history on it because i just bout the car and it was not running good, had blown head gaskets and cam timing was off. So i did not get to really test drive it! Engine is all fixed now and runs really good but now that i can drive it down the freeway i discovered this problem? hopping it might just be a solenoid or something like that.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

This issue will have to diagnosed using a Subaru capable scanner to obtain the failure codes, could be as simple as loose connections at the transm connector, or as serious as a complete overhaul of the transmission. Failure codes will point you in the direction you should go to start your testing. Please Accept my answer. i will continue to answer your questions until you are completely satisfied with my answers.