sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2003 nissan exterra, and the same thing as this guy

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 nissan exterra, and the same thing as this guy happened to me, http://www.justanswer.com/nissan/4gfs8-nissan-datsun-xterra-2003-nissan-exterra-turn-key-nothing.html AND I jumpered the 3 and 5 and it started. Except it only drives in 2nd gear. We bought a new neutral switch as autozone and I installed it and it would not start. I called nissan and he said to loosen the switch and range it back and forth while someone keys the ignition and nothing happened. He said it could be a fault in the harness some where or the security system. Well I think it has a factory security system. I checked everywhere and the wiring under the dash looks factory and nothing under the seats. I have no idea if autozone gave us the wrong switch, everything including the wiring looks the same. I have no way of knowing where to start to find a fault in the harness or security system. i will gladly pay you if you can help me get through this before my wife takes it to nissan on monday. I put everything back together, lined up the switch and we are driving in second gear. Please help. Thanks.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: battery was cleaned up. The cables arent perfect though. I went over them real good.
JA: What is the model of your '03 Nissan?
Customer: exterra. 4WD, 3.3 liter automatic.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i would like to fix this/ I stated what I tried. Replaced the neutral saftey switch and checked the wiring.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont have forever. If you dont have an answer soon Im going to need my money back.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be with the range sensor's wiring but it isn't that likely if there are no visible wiring or connection issues. I question whether the transmission control module is awake, it may be down due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground.

Do you have a scan tool or code reader to check for communication with the TCM?