Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Put new motor in the truck this weekend. when is started it

Customer Question
today the clutch was not...
put new motor in the truck this weekend. when is started it today the clutch was not working. we put a new clutch in when we had the motor out and today i replaced the slave and master. we spent 2 hours trying to bleed the lines but still the clutch is not working.
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: new clutch
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: new master and slave
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 92 2500, 4wd came with 305 just put 350 in it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: bled the lines replaced master and slave. new clutch just installed yesterday
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: has not moved since we started the motor today
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
7/26/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

How does the clutch pedal feel after the bleeding procedure?

Are you having trouble selecting gear with the engine running?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pedal feels stiff but can not put into gear while running.

Ok, I have had clutches "stick" after assembly, which sounds like your scenario.

I have done this:

Get vehicle to safe place to allow cranking the engine, in gear, clutch pedal depressed.

The vehicle will move forward while cranking, as soon as the engine fires, the clutch plate "unsticks" and begins to function normally.

Have you tried this?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no but i will. how far should clutch fork move when the clutch pedal is pressed?

I would think about 3/4 -1 inch, 19 - 25mm.

Of course, if there is mismatch of parts, throwout bearing height, flywheel, pressure finger heights, then the procedure above may not work.

Are all your parts correct for the application?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as far as i know. all of the parts went together properly. measured all dimensions prior to installing the new motor.

That's good to hear.

I'll wait until you try my procedure.

If the engine fires, and you have a normal clutch, then hopefully all good.

If the engine fires, and still no clutch release, then either key off to shut the engine down or stall it.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i will try it in the morning. thank you.

Hope it works for you.

I have had it before a few times, and you start to panic etc.

Your heart is in your mouth, and then relief when it works.

Fingers crossed for you.

Gary

Hello again,

How did you go, do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it working. Friends installed clutch plate backwards.

Hi again,

I had a friend of mine do that on his own car a few years back.

He couldn't work it out, so I helped him.

Eventually I asked is the clutch plate in backwards, sure enough it was.

I didn't think to ask you that, since I have only seen it once, but I guess we all learn.

Hope it is all working ok now.

Kind regards.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician