Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 2007 freestyle with the cft30 of course. 2 years

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2007 freestyle with the cft30 of course. 2 years ago I took the trans apart and the inner input bearing was toast. I took it to a guy in NY who installed a primary variator he had modified and swore by. 50k later I have input noise again so I bought another trans for parts. I took the one out of my car, opened it up and found the outer bearing is going this time, the converter hub bearing. so I changed that and also the reverse clutches were tore up some so I swapped that stuff too. Including the cup? behind the reverse clutches with new o rings. All these parts came out of the doner trans and looked great. so I reinstalled the trans and started it up and the trans clunked into both gears. I coulnt believe it. so I took it out a 3rd time an opened it up and found a bad tough seal on the input. crap luck I guess. so I changed those and reinstalled, and now the trans goes great, no rpm fluctuation, and engauges into forward fine, but it clunks into reverse SOMETIMES. not even every time.
I need some guidance on what to check what to test and maybe where can I purchase a manual for this transmission. thankyou
I know the valve body is good everything worked fine originally, it just growled from the bearing gong bad. I feel like the trans should work fine. is there something ive done to cause a leak in reverse and not forward?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

An online subscription to All Data or Mitchell on Demand would be your best manual option. Here are the things to effect reverse. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/cfreverse.png Have you checked the tubes between the Mechatronics and case to make sure none are damaged able to leak, effecting the pressure to the reverse clutch?

If you're confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just ive checked the tubes between the case and the vb. orings and the double seal. and pickup o ring. also checked the seal that's visible, tube, between the case halves. ill look at all data and see what I can come up with. I just didn't know if u could throw me any quick ideas on something I may have overlooked or disturbed in there. thanks

The shaft seals that the forward and reverse clutch ride on and get there pressure from is the only other thing I can add that you may have overlooked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shaft seals.... the two Teflon, or harder seals on the input shaft you talking about?

All the seals on the shaft which get fluid pressure from the mechatronics to the 2 clutch packs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unsure why I was charged the full amount before I was able to decide if your help was even helpful.
I went and purchased alldata and there was way more info in there then you were telling me. This is not my first rodeo, I rebuild and diagnose diesels all day long and consider myself a good tech. the ase master certified certificate I hold for transit applcations helps that. I just have not ever done as much with transmissions And mainly just not much with cvt.
Pleas tell me why im charged the full amount already thanks

You are charged to ask a question here. So you are charged the full amount the second I typed "Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose)." Sorry you are not pleased with my help and no longer need my help since you have all data to reply on.