Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 2001 dodge grand caravan 3.3L that is having

Customer Question
transmission problems. My son...
I have a 2001 dodge grand caravan 3.3L that is having transmission problems. My son and I pulled the pan and it looked pretty clean...red...no brunt smell...not many metal fragments. The symptoms are the car shifts into first then second but slips after that and then may reach 4 gear...I was reading on the internet it may be the Transmission Control Module...is this a good assessment? Or should I try something else first? Does this need to go into a shop to have a computer access the TCM first before I swap it out? Is there data here I would lose if I swap it out that might be providing additional clue? I guess I am not sure where to go from here without more information. If your advice is to take it in then would I have to pay for this service?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
5/31/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Brad, Dealer Technician replied 1 year ago
Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

The first thing I would suggest doing even before dropping the pan would be to see what codes are in the TCM with a scantool.. You have a 41TE transmission and it has it's own TCM to control it and being fully electronic it will set codes if it doesn't shift correctly and with these codes I wcan tell you about what happened and how to repair it, but it's anyones guess until you have the codes read.. To be honest of the transmission is not burnt up then I would guess it's a bad solenoid pack because I have replaced quite a few of them but then again it could be a bad TCM.... Once you get the codes post them here and I will give you my best advise on where to go from here..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HI Brad,
I was afraid of asking this because it leads me to a NOT DIY project that Just Answer can help me with. It really does not help me to be advised to take it to a transmission shop and have them read the codes. I knew this already. I guess I was hoping the symptoms would lead us somewhere that did not take me to a $100/hr transmission shop. I am pretty sure this conversation is done. Not very satisfied...but...life goes on....not your fault.

You could swing by any parts store and they can read the code free of charge, but I'd rather not guess and tell you to replace the solenoid pack and you still have the same issues... This is the proper way to diagnose and repair your vehicle...

Keep me posted,

Brad

Are you still here?

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you serious...do you really think your answer was worth $26? Where is your honor?
Brad
Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician