Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Transmission/drivetrain loud clunk when shifting from 1st to

Customer Question

Transmission/drivetrain loud clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, 2nd to third, third to 4th, then not so much. Smg pump replaced six months ago. Smg relay replaced last week, which had the effect of making the clutch more sensitive to application of accelerator. Suspect a timing issue with the clutch and shifting of gears. Transmission shifts immediately, but with a loud clunking noise in the drivetrain. Possible clutch position sensor or other smg sensor problem?
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. There are two bmw specialists in my area, one is turner motorsports.
JA: OK! The BMW Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: Otherwise, the car is flawless.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
What diagnostics have been carried out?