Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Ram 2500: Trans wont shift out of 2nd or 3rd.

Customer Question
Trans wont shift out of...
Trans wont shift out of 2nd or 3rd.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
5/7/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello can you tell me what make, model and year this is please? also do you have any fault lights on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure if you saw the narrative I wrote. I'm getting a check engine light on the dash. I have an 05 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ a diesel. Recently I replaced ball joints and tie rod ends. Following completion, I started having issues with my transmission shifting. It appears that the trans starts in 2 or 3rd gear and wont shift. It goes into reverse, neutral, and park fine but will not shift. I replaced the Governor Pressure Sensor Transducer & Solenoid. The problem was fixed for a couple of weeks.I went out the other day and the truck was fine. I went to leave the store and the problem with the shifting started again. I ran the codes available through the ignition switch and got the following.0243
1754
0868
0069I replaced the throttle control valve lever (1754). After installation the problem is still there with the shifting.I ran codes using a scanner in the OBD and received the following.0642
1754
0868
0069
0642
0107I'm at a loss, any help is appreciated.
Brian
Hello Brian I've got no visibility of your previous correspondance , but I'm assuming that you've checked the fluid level and colour of the fluid ?if you haven't then this would be the next step and thats quite a collection of codes !P0107 & 0069 = MAP sensor faultP0642 - Reference sensor faultP0868 - Transmission line pressure lowP1754 - throttle valve actuator so as you've already replaced the throttle valve then I'd next check the engine wiring loom ground connections, where they exit out of the main loom and are secured to the engine with ring terminals - as this provides the reference ground for the sensors and for the ECUalso check the state of the main engine earth connections back to the chassis and battery and also check the wiring and connector to the throttle valve for corrosion and damaged wiring
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked those areas, doesn't appear to be anything loose. I did find that the wires to the wastegate solenoid were frayed and broken. Good news is that was one of the codes. It appears that the truck is in "limp mode" as Dodge calls it. I would be curious if these broken wires would be connected through harnesses to other components to send error codes? I will attempt to get a new wastegate solenoid and replace it to see if anything improves.
OK, so some progresshave you checked the transmission fluid level ?
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fluid level is fine. I found that fuse 36 keeps blowing. I have inspected the wiring however did not locate a splice or cut. Looking at the schematics it appears several things are on this circuit. Due to several systems being on that circuit, would that blown fuse be enough to send the truck into limp mode?
Hello yes that would do ithowever for the fuse to keep blowing then there must be a short? Unless the wrong rating fuse is fitted ?
Matt, Engineer