Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2002 Saturn SL2. It is stuck in 3rd gear. The shifter moves

Customer Question

2002 Saturn SL2. It is stuck in 3rd gear. The shifter moves freely forward and back, but not right to left. Cannot change gears. I looked where the shifter cables attach to the transmission. The lower cable is frayed and I can pull the cable in and out (which moves the shifter).
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Original
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: good.
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing. not sure if it is the cable or the shift lever, or a transmission problem or something else
JA: Anything else I can tell the Saturn Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Have someone else move the shifter forward and back while you look at the cables where they attach to the transmission. does the cable move the levers on the transmission? Or is there just slop due to the frayed cable?