Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

My cars transmission is going out JA: Good to know. The mechanics

Customer Question
My cars transmission is going...
My cars transmission is going out
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: But I don't think that's the problem at the moment
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: It will turn over but won't stay running
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Chevy Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Customer: But I need the car running by tomorrow and don't have like any money
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My car is a 2001 Chevy Impala LS, the transmission has been slowly going out, but my car will turn over but won't stay running so I know the engine is not seized up or the transmission, the fuel pump is priming and working so idk what the hell is going on
4/15/2016
Transmission Mechanic: hdgene, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, does it stall when put into gear? What is going on when the vehicle stalls? High or rough idle? ANy warning lights on or codes stored if you had it checked with a scan tool? Transmission fluid level is full and looks clean, not dark or smell burnt?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dark but just smells old, engine will turn over and wants to fire up but won't even stay running at all
Ok so what makes you think its a transmssion issue, have you checked for fuel pressure or tried spraying carb cleaner into the intake to see if it will run for a few seconds? Have you checked for codes with a scan tool?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have someone coming over tomorrow with his scan tool to check for codes, but I believe it is the transmission cuz a while ago it threw a transmission code
Ok. dependng on what code(s) are stored will give you more of a direction of what to look at. If the torque convertor is stuck on, it will cause the engine to stall or not start depending on the issue, otherwise if the trans was just starting to slip it should start and run ok. So verify the basics, check for spark, fuel pressure, you may have a weak fuel pump causing the no start for instance.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've never had a problem off of start up with the car ever, I know the car is due for a tune up but it usually always turns over and starts strong
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have never had an issue before with it and my battery is an interstate battery and less than a year old
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will turn over and start to fire up just won't idle and remain running
Ok, that can be due to low fuel pressure, a vacuum leak to name a couple of things, check the basics, you should have a fuel pressure port on the throttle body area to check for fuel pressure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will let u know more tomorrow
Very good, just reply back when you have more information and ill get back with you.
Hello, do you need more help or information?
hdgene
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician