Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

It's stuck on second gear the cables appear to be fine but

Customer Question
they car won't shift out...
It's stuck on second gear the cables appear to be fine but they car won't shift out of gear.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: I believe the original
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Ok.
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Buick Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: An approximate cost on this fix
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
4/10/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
I am sorry for the long waitwhat year and model Buick is this ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
04 rendezvous
is the check engine light on ?will the shifter shift through all the gears like reverse and park ?i am trying to see if this is an issue of it not being able to be physically shifted into the gears or not
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No check engine light. The shifter bar is moving. And fill likes it is locking into gears. But it feels loose like there is nothing connected.
will reverse work ?
is the gear display reading correctly for park and reverse and D ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The indicator shows itstuckon second gear.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Won't come off of it.
ok if you pop off the shift cable can you shift the little bar lever by hand can you shift it by hand so the indicator shows the correct gears ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure how to do that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know what the linkage cables are not the shifting
the shift cable connects to the transmission lever and you can pop off the cable with a screwdriverfirst be sure the cable IS connected to the lever if not pop it back on with a pair of pliersif it is connected then pop it off with a screw driver and try to shift the lever by hand
Transmission Mechanic: John Vieira, Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic replied 1 year ago
John Vieira
John Vieira, Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic
Phone call session started
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician