Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Need help with 4r44e in my 99 ranger.trans was slipping and

Customer Question
Chris, need help with 4r44e...
Chris, need help with 4r44e in my 99 ranger.trans was slipping and so I dropped the VB and found torn gasket. I installed the transgo shift kit following all instructions. After reassembly, trans was worse and I have no reverse without super high revs then barely any reverse. Forward slips worse now. I'm in a bind. I found a nickel size round brass washer type broken pc in the drain pan and some small brass chips on the top of the VB please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
3/20/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service to you, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased with my assistance and will rate me Good or Excellent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Did you take a picture of the parts you found?
  2. Did you check the reverse servo seals?
  3. Was the valve body installed with a inch pound torque wrench?

That last image with a that large round disc with holes in. Thousands of Ford transmissions apart and I have never seen one with a plate like that.

Did you replace the paper gasket on both sides of the separator plate?

Did you take the valve body apart to see if any valves are stuck from gasket material or brass chunks?

The brass piece you have found is from a planetary gear set that is coming apart and likely distrinuting sharp pieces of metal through the trans cutting seals along the way. We must overhaul the transmission to address the gear set and replace all seals and clean out the trans and cooler. Is that something you can do?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

Please make sure to complete the rating on your screen when your pleased.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm just back from my cardiac arrest.😵 Before the repair, the truck shifted fine, it was slipping randomly every few weeks. The latest was last Monday and it slipped kind of bad but the next day was fine again. No slipping and full reverse. The only change was doin the shift kit on the VB. yes I put new gaskets on both sides of the plate using assembly lube to get it to stick to the seperator plate (sta lube brand) I don't have the skill level to rebuild a tranny

Do you have the skills to take a valve body apart to inspect it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can do that. What are your thoughts on the transgo shift kit? Did that screw up my valve body? Wondering what would have happened if I just put new gaskets in and put back together after that. The shift kit had me cross drill a passage drill a hole through the bottom in one circuit . Plug two holes in the plate,new puck...are you familiar with this shift kit?

I do not like shift kits. They mask problems, resulting in more problems that could of been detected earlier.

Yes i am familiar with this kit, have seen it on many transmissions I have rebuilt where it was installed prior. I inform the customers that I am not responsible for the shift quality after the overhaul and my dealer will provide no warranty on the repairs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about putting a rebuilt VB in? New servos seals, etc. I've seen some on EBay. That might put me back to square one. ?

It os very possible though you may still have to address the fact there were parts ground up in the pan.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am thinking of going back in and cleaning the VB of any possible chips. And see if that does it. I know that broken thrust washer is a problem. If I need to rebuild it I will do it myself. What kit would you use? And any extra parts to address that thrust washer......

If the copper washer is from the reduction gear set, then that gear set needs to be replaced. Its hard to say exactly where it came from without the transmission all apart looking at every piece. Extra parts also hard to know until you have visually seen each part to see if its worn. A overhaul kit seals alone or master kit with steels and frictions are both available from your Ford dealer. Then you would know the parts your getting will fit perfect unlike some aftermarket kits.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician