Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

The car stalls and jerk on lls, will idle gh and only go

Customer Question
The car stalls and jerk...
The car stalls and jerk on hills, will idle high and only go like 30 sporadicly. Acts like a vapor lock sometimes
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the 12 yr old battery
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Saturn Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Saturn Mechanic should be aware of about your Saturn?
Customer: Used fuel cleaner
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saturn Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
3/18/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Most of the time this is caused by a failing transmission or the catalytic converter failing. The converter will fail and restrict the exhaust causing this. I would start by checking that. Is the check engine light coming on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No lights have come on at all. Car does seem to roll back a little too.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you replace the vti tranny with a different type of tranny?

The rolling back can be in the transmission, but can also be a lack of power. Most of the time it is the converter. If you do not have a back pressure tester most exhaust shops can test it for you.

As for the transmission, unfortunately you cannot. You can only use the same transmission unless you want to also change the wiring harness and the modules to work with something else which will be extremely expensive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like precision tune?

Not necessarily. It is much more in depth than that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do they still make vti trannys
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is a good reputable place to have test it?

Any good transmission shop can do it, and they will be cheaper than the dealer. As for the transmission itself, they do not make new ones but this one can be rebuilt if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would you rebuild one with almost 200k miles on it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or get a new car?

Definitely. These are easily rebuild-able. It will cost a couple thousand dollars though, so if you are in the market for a new vehicle then this may be the time to get one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Damn that's expensive

Yes it is. That is the point that typically makes most people buy a new car as they do not feel as if it is worth it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** the help

Any time. If you need anything else in the future please let me know. Please rate when you can also. Thank you and have a great rest of your night.

Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor