Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Can an automatic with a transmission going out or slipping

Customer Question
or something, lose neutral gear...
Can an automatic with a transmission going out or slipping or something, lose neutral gear all of a sudden and go into drive?
My car went from being able to use all gears to losing park, over drive, and low drive.
Then switched to having park, over drive, drive.... and losing reverse, neutral.
I found neutral and had it it in neutral, but then it went into drive.... at least that is what the situations seemed to be... i didn't think it was possible
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
3/13/2016
Transmission Mechanic: ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech replied 1 year ago
ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech

HI,

Ok, that is an indication of a faulty transmission position switch, usually located on the outside of the transmission, but may be inside the transmission. It just depends on the year, make and model which you have not listed. If you can list those, I can tell you its location and how to replace it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
94 ford taurus

HI,

It is located at top of transmission(see attachment)

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Place manual control lever in NEUTRAL position.
3. Remove engine air cleaner and air cleaner outlet tube.
4. Disconnect transmission range sensor electrical connector.
5. Remove manual control lever from transaxle.
6. Remove transmission range sensor attaching bolts, then the sensor.
7. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
a. Ensure manual control lever is in the NEUTRAL position.
b. Install transmission range sensor, then the attaching bolts loosely.
c. Align position sensor using manual lever position sensor alignment tool T92P-70010-AH, or equivalent.
d. Torque sensor attaching bolts to 7-9 ft lb.
e. Torque manual lever attaching bolts to 8-11 ft lb.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

ebrock63
ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech