Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2001 f150 speedometer reading wrong changed speed sensor

Customer Question

2001 f150 speedometer reading wrong changed speed sensor back of transmission and differential still not reading right wont shift right
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I reset the speedometer on it
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The best way to diagnose this one is with a compatible ford scan tool. The scan tool will tell you whether the signal coming from the speed sensor on the transmission matches up to what the PCM is reading. That would tell you whether the speed sensor/sensor wiring is the concern or if the PCM is the problem. Sometimes we see these PCMs lose programming and the speedometer acts up until you have the PCM reprogrammed.

Also, try unplugging the alternator and retest drive the vehicle. If the engine runs good with the alternator disconnected, suspect a bad diode in the alternator causing RF interference with the OSS sensor. This would also cause it to shift incorrectly.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check whether you need any additional help.

If you no longer need assistance, please don't forget to rate.