Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I keep losing fuel pressure and it kicks in and out of gear…

Customer Question
I keep losing fuel...

I keep losing fuel pressure and it kicks in and out of gear the overdrive light blinks on and off then it straightens out

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

It takes twenty mins to crank in the mornin when you crank it black smoke and no power then od light kicks on and off and idles fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yeah

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Ive changed all intake gaskets the fuel pressure valve the egr theelectronic vacuum

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?

It runs good at times then just acts like it loses power

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
3/11/2016
Transmission Mechanic: John Vieira, Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic at Country Ford Trucks replied 2 years ago
John Vieira
John Vieira, Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic at Country Ford Trucks

I will try to help you tonight. First of all, I need to know what the make and model of your Ford is, please?

1995 Ford explorer

Sounds like something intermittent. If there's something floating around in the tank, plugs the fuel suction line up, then you can lose power. Suggest checking the tank, making sure it is free from clogs. That could be making the fuel pressure drop.