Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have a 05 Cavalier wouldn't shift out of 1st put a different…

Customer Question
Have a 05 Cavalier...

Have a 05 Cavalier wouldn't shift out of 1st put a different trans in today but still have same results

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Not really a lot to give you just can't believe that 2 trans, would act the same way will not shift up from 1st gear

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
3/4/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to determine if the problem is an internal concern or an electronic control issue the first thing you are going to need to do is to scan the computer system to see if there are any transmission fault codes setting. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will try and help you determine the cause here. Let me know and we can work from there.

Gd morning, as I took it for a drive I did notice that the speedometer wasn't working would that have nythng to do with the non shift

It is possible if the speedometer concern is speed sensor related. Are you getting any fault codes?

No codes but I only have a cheap reader

In most cases a simple code reader will not always retrieve transmission codes. If you can see if you can get a scan done with a full scan tool.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician