Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 2003 bmw 325ci automatic transmission with 141,000

Customer Question
***** ***** that has gone...
i have a 2003 bmw 325ci automatic transmission with 141,000 ***** ***** that has gone into "limp" mode and I have replaced the automatic transmission module, got a new battery and topped off the automatic fluid. I have heard auto replacing the transmission fluid, gasket and etc, the"guibo" gear needs replaced, the speed control or pulse generator, or just reset the computer to get rid of the limp mode. Just trying to cover everything before forking over $3000 for a new or rebuilt transmission. Thanks for your help. Derek
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: who is ***** ***** lol? all good my name is***** transmission is acting up. In drive it will rev until it gets to 2000-3000 rpm and shifts hard into gear. Then I will get the gear symbol with the exclamation point inside of it. Then the car will barely move
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
3/2/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert
What diagnostics have been carried out?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do u mean what diagnostics? Give me an example
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have changed the battery, I have changed the transmission module and topped off the atf fluid so far
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
by diagnostics I mean fault scans with a factory BMW scan tool and the carrying out of proper hands on test plans.
replacing parts is not diagnostics, and replacing parts without diagnostics is risky, usually costly guesswork.
your transmission has sensed a fault and the car has recoreded a record of that fault which can be scanned from the car with a BMW scan tool to reveal the cause of the warning.
To elaborate, this warning occurs when the transmission senses a fault or is missing a needed input that is required for proper operation. This warning is not specific to any one thing and can occur for many, many reasons. Anything from a simple low fluid level or failed sensor to internal wear / slippage or complete transmission failure can cause this. Even a missing input from the ABS system or a failing alternator can cause this, etc, etc, etc.
The good news is that when this warning comes on, the transmission computer logs a record of the fault, which can be read out to shed additional light on the exact nature of the issue. Thus, the only way to determine why the transmission warning is on is to have the fault memory read out using a BMW compatible scan tool. Once the fault memory is read, the problem can be identified, and the issue fixed.
Without knowing what faults are stored, all a person can do is guess at the problem – which can get very expensive, very quickly.
You can always try to unhook the battery for an hour to see if the warning will go away, but even if it does, it will only be a matter of time until it comes back – it will keep coming back until the underlying fault is resolved.
You can also reset the transmission by turning the key to position 2 (all the way without starting the car or pressing the start/stop button twice with foot OFF the brake) and pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor for 2min. Again, the fault will likely return though until the underlying issue is addressed.
At this point, you can try the above as temporary fixes, but ultimately you will need to take the vehicle to a shop that has the proper equipment to read the fault memory so that the issue can be determined.
There is no other way to resolve this issue – the fault memory must first be read out so that the issue can be identified. Any action taken without first knowing the stored fault logs is risky guess work. Once the issue is identified with the aid of the fault logs, the problem can be corrected, the warning switched off, and normal transmission operation restored.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle
Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert