Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Convertible won't start or shift from park. Is there a…

Customer Question
2001 Convertible won't start or...
2001 Convertible won't start or shift from park. Is there a relay or an override of some kind so I can get it somewhere?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
2/29/2016
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the shifter simply won't move out of park then it could be an interlock issue, the shift cable itself or the manual valve lever may be dragging in the case due to corrosion. It sounds like the problem you're dealing with is actually a no start situation though and you've depleted the vacuum in the brake booster, which will make the brake pedal hard to press so you may not be pressing it far enough to activate the brake switch.

Does the engine not start?