Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1999 Passat we shift it into gear but nothing

Customer Question
Hi I have a 1999...
Hi I have a 1999 Passat we shift it into gear but nothing happen it won't changes on the dash board that put into drive
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
2/26/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The transmission range switch is usually the most common or tip tronic position switch itself for this issue here.The other issue is damaged or corroded wiring leading from this switch causing this as well.What should be done here first is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.Then from there the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.If you can get the codes read out using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete