Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Joi and auto trans on my 93 rodeo 4x4, The check trans light…

Customer Question
Joi and auto trans...

Joi and auto trans on my 93 rodeo 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The check trans light came on today after starting it up. Tried to drive to the local auto parts house to get any codes ran (the cel didn't pop on) and get more ATF. Well, it flat out died. Got some fluid put in it, but nadda

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
2/25/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Were you able to get the fault codes read out at all?

Will it crank over with the starter at all but isnt starting at all with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

It will crank. No, I was not able to get any codes.
The Check Engine Light did not pop on. Only the Check Trans light in the dash. It is an auto 4x4
It will not go over 5mph
I am going to be forced to limp it home. Luckily it is less than 1/10th of a mile home.
What could it be?

The transmission fault could have caused the compute to put the vehicle into a fail safe mode of some kind as some vehicles can do and can cause a stall out and a limited speed home.If there is a solenoid at fault or sensor at fault in the transmission this will cause this here.I have also had issues with the fuel pump becoming weak as well and causing low/no power for this fault here needing replaced.

I would have the codes checked if you can to see why the trans light came on.This will help locate if this is the cause for both issues here or if there are two separate issues but this will help with diagnosing and locating the fault for the transmission light.

I would also have the fuel pump pressure tested to see if the fuel pressure is low.If low this can indicate a restricted fuel filter needing replaced or a weak fuel pump needing replaced as this can cause this as well here.

These are the most common causes.I would start however having codes checked as this will help locate the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete