Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No drive, fl 1998, if car is up drive seams to work when…

Customer Question
Fl 1998 Mechanic's...

Fl 1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Nice car. The Transmission Mechanic can help you with your '98 transmissions. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

If car is jack up drive seams to work when under load drive has no power to pull off

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes if i could

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far? Are you ready to speak with the Transmission Mechanic now?

Nothing yet jest change the filter

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/25/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the engine is revving up but the vehicle is not moving and the transmission fluid is at the proper level most likely this is an internal clutch fault as the clutches in the transmission can burn or fail and cause this here under load.The transmission would need to be inspected further internally to locate the damaged components then from there repair them to correct this fault here.

If the engine is bogging down when the engine is revved up with this issue here this can indicate a fault with the transmission torque converter itself as I have seen fail before needing replaced.

These are the most common causes for this type of fault here.

The transmission will have to be inspected/tested further to locate the source of the fault then from there repaired to correct this issue here.This may involve removing the transmission for further diagnosis and repair internally.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic