FSM09
FSM09, Other
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, specialty in diesels, drive trains, and powertrain.
74859263

Shift motor on a 98 explorer, So i have the typical issue of

Customer Question

Shift motor on a 98 explorer
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: So i have the typical issue of it getting stuck in 4 low and not being able to get it out. Ive tried everythibg i can find and now im going to remove the shift motor and manually switch it to 2wd. I know how to remove the shift motor but dont know how to shift it manually from there
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if having the vehicle in neutral while using doesn't get you out of 4 low you will need to remove the transfer case shift motor. There are 3 or 4 bolts with a 10mm head that hold the motor on. When you remove the shift motor you will see an arrow pointing which way to turn. Then you can use a pipe wrench or crescent wrench and rotate the shaft until you are out of 4low.