Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have some ASE certifications myself I work on garbage

Customer Question
Hello I am Clyde Wood...
Hello I am Clyde Wood I have some ASE certifications myself I work on garbage trucks but automatics are not on the top of my list. I have a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 and from the best I can tell a 46RH the transmission was rebuilt about three years ago. I lost a cooler line and pumped the fluid out of it repaired the line it seemed to run fine for awhile then started to slip. Most of the clutch plates where burnt out of it. Replaced all the clutches separated the valve body enough to clean out the burnt oil did not remove any spools. got it back together, have good solid forward gears, but nothing in reverse. Like it is not even trying to engage. I dropped the pan confirmed the adjustment on the rear band was correct, put air pressure in the test port for rear servo, it did move even tho it sounded like the air was blowing straight through some where other than the servo. Dropped the valve checked for all the check balls, looks good by your schematic except for the ECE check ball but I notice it is for a 47RE. Is there any thing I am missing for no reverse.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I do not think this is a major problem just something simple I missed as I said I am a professional heavy truck mechanic for almost 40 years but we all need help sometimes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: As I said I checked the rear band for correct adjustment, checked the rear servo to work with air pressure, and checked for the correct placement of check balls
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 day by:
2/23/2016
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you don't have reverse it could be rear band related whether it's the band itself or the servo, it may be a valve body issue, possibly a leak in the case, damaged splines between the rear annulus and intermediate shaft, or it could be a slipping direct clutch in the overdrive unit.

Was reverse ok before it was disassembled?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician