Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It wont shift out and do have reverse only have low gear…

Customer Question
It wont shift out...

It wont shift out and do have reverse only have low gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.

99 chev tahoe

Mechanic's Assistant: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I put it in drive and pull off and it doesn't shift out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes if its simple

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Everything I know what do u think off the top of your head

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
2/18/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you saying the transmission will not shift out of first gear?

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault here?

Off the top of my head if it will not shift out of first gear the most common cause on this model here is the 1st to 2nd gear electronic shift solenoid at fault in the transmission valve body needing replaced.About $50 to $100 for the solenoid,5 quarts of atf and a new transmisison pan gasket as well as about 1.5 hours labor to have replaced.The other component is the transmission valve body itself needing replaced.This can sometimes cost up to $1000 for the valve body and about 2.5 hours labor to have replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete