Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I just bought a 2006 Subaru Legacy that's been serviced with

Customer Question

Hey, I just bought a 2006 Subaru Legacy that's been serviced with Tranny fluid and filter, but it seems to be lagging/slipping when I step on the gas and also it seems to not decide whether to shift to 2nd or third hear sometimes when I'm going low speed ( it will shift up then back down quickly). Of course I don't want to think rebuild/replace right off the bat(especially with no other symptoms or check engine light) so I'm looking for alternative answers that may fix the problem.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, depending on the price and what I'd probably need to do.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing besides research
JA: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?
Customer: No leaks, no smell, clean fluid. Just a bit concerned about the lag when I really step on the gas. Maybe I'm just not used to Subaru and their 2.5 liter engine performance?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Subaru Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Did you purchase this car from the Subaru dealer or a private party?

Also, how many miles on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Private dealer. 152, 000. Has car fax routine maintenance including two tranny flush and filter at 70,000 and recent.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if the service was done at the Subaru dealer?
I ask because I believe the 06 model had to have the transmission fluid bled of air using the scan tool, and there were some updates for the transmission control module as well. It might seem lame, but you should be able to contact the Subaru dealer with the last 8 of the VIN and they should know if this has been updated. These are a couple of possible things that could solve the issue without replacing the transmission.