Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Have a transmission question. When first starting its Slow

Customer Question
going into reverse and shifts...
Have a transmission question. When first starting its Slow going into reverse and shifts REALLY HARSH between 2nd and 3rd. Then runs and shifts great after its warmed up.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry it's a 02 camry 3.0 v6. Has 4 speed transmission.
2/15/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago
Andrew Martin

Ok, have you checked the fluid level and condition?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The transmission oil was very clean when I bought it the owner said it was just flushed. We test drove it and shifted perfectly. So we bought it then the next morning went to drive it and would not go into reverse right away then the hard shifting between 2nd and 3rd. Now I know why he always wanted to meet him to see the car so it was warmed up. I took it to a local repair shop the said nothing they could find tested the solenoids said they serviced the oil and said it was good to go. Not the case! I dropped the pan and there was sludge on the magnets not thinking they really did anything but give me a bill. So to answer your question it is at the proper level and very clean.
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Alright, when you dropped the pan did you change the filter and clean it all out good?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yep
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been driving it about 300 miles a week and a couple weeks ago the check engine like came on a with a p0770 code I cleared it and has not come on since.
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok. Dirty fluid can cause these issues, and it can also cause that trouble code. Since you changed the fluid and the filter, there may not be a mechanical issue anymore. The transmission computer may just need to be reset. You can try disconnecting the battery and letting it stay disconnected for 30 minutes or so. If this doesn't work you'll have to bring it to the dealership for them to do it. If the reset does not work, it probably does need a shift solenoid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried that already. No luck.
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Alright. The solenoids can be electrically ok but could still be sticking, the P0770 refers to shift solenoid E. It is replaceable but it does involve digging into the transmission. If replacing the solenoid does not fix it, it may just be too gummed up inside to repair and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you mean by digging into the transmission? Is it on the outside or inside the pan? Do you know the part #?
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

The shift solenoids are attached to the valve body which is inside the transmission. You have to remove the pan, filter, and the valve body to change the solenoid. Part # *****(###) ###-####/p>

Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would that make sense to whyou its acting the way it is? Shifts hard when cold then fine when warmed up? Wouldn't it actually up all the time Ito were bad?
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes it would make sense if it was sticking, once it gets hot the fluid is thinner and everything moves more easily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just making sure the part # ***** ***** an automatic transmission?
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes manual transmissions do not have any solenoids. You may want to double check with the dealer with your VIN but that part is for a 2002 Camry v6 with a 4 speed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a picture of my transmission.
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Here are some pictures from the manual that should help

Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Please rate me so I can continue assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem. Good thing I'm observant the pic you sent didn't really help as the bolts are all different sizes and used a diagram with letters noting the different sizes. However you don't even have to drop the valve body just 2 bolts and it came right out. Gave it a good cleaning but still acting up. You must be a gm or ford guy I'm no transmission guy but it only takes one time of seeing it to know you don't have to remove the valve body would have saved be a lot of time. Thanks for the assistance.
Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

Well I was going by the Toyota service manual.

Transmission Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 1 year ago

I mean rate me like a star rating please

Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The prior tech has opted out, would you like me to try and help?

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician