Richard, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic and transmission expert.
10437779

2001 xjr - would not shift into drive when cold. Had

Customer Question

2001 xjr - would not shift into drive when cold. Had transmission gasket replaced. Yesterday, would not shift into drive. Finally shifted into drive after putting it into reverse several times. Drove the car 10 miles and it would not shift into next gear. Transmission light came on. Parked the car and after two hours, went out and it shifted immediately. No problem at all. Dropped it off at dealer and they are saying that the check engine light indicates it is an oxygen sensor. Mechanic says it could effect shifting. This makes no sense.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jaguar. The Jaguar Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I just want the dealer to fix it correctly this time. This is getting ridiculous, it is costing me a fortune.
JA: OK! The Jaguar Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Jaguar Mechanic should be aware of about your Jaguar?
Customer: No, but I will tell you that I understand this shifting problem is a common problem with jaguars
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I agree that a malfunctioning oxygen sensor should not cause the transmission issue you are having. It would help to know the code number they are getting along with any other faults that may be stored. We also need to confirm the fluid level since a special dipstick is needed to check the fluid level. Let me know.