Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Rob, is there an adjustment/alignment tool a 2005 GM NSBU is…

Customer Question
Rob, is there an...

Rob, is there an adjustment/alignment tool for ensuring a 2005 GM NSBU is in the neutral position when reinstalling?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

2005 H2, brand new 4L65E transmission. Putting the old NSBU onto transmission, having problems aligning the switch to the neutral position. I have found some alignment tools, but none for the type of NSBU I have (GM 24221125). Any ideas?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
How do I get an answer by email? I haven't given anybody my email address!!!
2/3/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Randall, ASE Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, ASE Master Tech

Hello, if you are having trouble aligning and can not do it by random adjusts?> to answer you? yes, there is a "J" tool that is required to properly align,It is offered online, Several different sources, I have included a link on how to setup this tool and tool number etc, You can do an online search for the tool,

Wrong answer! I found this same information on line without paying anybody. You have the wrong Neutral Safety Backup Switch - this is not the unit found on this vehicle. Please see this link for the correct part: http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/products/Hummer/2005/H2-Base/SWITCH-Back-Up-Lamp-Transmission-Safety-StartWarning/2992525/24221125.html which also lists the 157 vehicle variants.

no problem, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts, Sry I could not help

Transmission Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

the switch you have in your link and the switch that Randal gave you are the same.

please explain

all you need to do to adjust this is to put the transmission in revese and adjust the neutral switch to where the back up lights come on

No Tim, the switches are not the same. The one shown in the drawing with the J-tool has two multi-pin connectors on the aft end (mine has a single multi-pin connector) and the neutral alignment notch on the housing (shown in the drawing) is near to 2 O'clock which also means the flats on the shift lever will be parallel to this same position - this isn't even close on the H2 with the GM switch I referenced. The shift lever flats on the H2 (4L65E transmission), while the transmission is in neutral are aligned and parallel to almost 11:00 O'clock -so, again, not the same switch! Now, having explained that, I bought a new switch this evening (DR4146 at Autozone), it is identical to the part removed from my H2. I did notice, that the DR4146 does have little ears (tabs?) sticking up on the center portion of the switch, that when I use a straightedge, they are in exact alignment with a single notch on the switch housing (at 11:00 O'clock, not 2:00 O'clock). So, it appears that the J-tool that Randall referenced (J 41364A) might work with this switch. If that is truly the case, then you experts should be telling people that this is the case. Pretty simple, again, if this is really the case, it would be much easier to tell people that the J-tool will work on multiple GM NSBU switches as long as the tool fits into the slots (tabs) on the switch and can be aligned to the notch on the housing. Maybe you could list the GM NSBU part numbers that this J-Tool can be used on as well – that would be very helpful. One last thing on the referenced alignment instructions. I’m not sure where they originated, but it mentions “a positive assurance bracket” that “will come with the new switch”. Apparently, somewhere out there in GM-Land there is an NSBU switch that matches these instructions – it is however, not the same switch as the DR4146 (same as GM 24221125) as the DR4146 DOES NOT come with any sort of positive assurance bracket. So, again, please don’t tell people that the switch referenced in those instructions are the same as the one in their vehicle. Also, you suggested putting the transmission into reverse and adjusting the switch until the backup lights come on. A couple problems people may have with this. First, if the switch is not aligned to begin with, it is likely the transmission cannot be taken out of park. The only way out of this situation is to remove the shift cable, the shift lever, and then the NSBU switch. The transmission can then be taken out of park and put in neutral from under the vehicle. But for the unknowing (many backyard DIY mechanics) they don't know how to tell if the transmission is in reverse without those nice little lights on the dashboard that don’t' work with the NSBU disconnected and removed. The answer in this case is that reverse can be found by rotating the shift shaft all the way clockwise (if the battery is connected, the door locks should actuate which can be heard under the vehicle). Then simply rotate the shift shaft counter clockwise to the next detent - this is reverse (go one more, and you are in neutral, keep going and you hit drive, 3, 2, 1), with the transmission in reverse, then the NSBU can be placed back on the shaft, adjusted until, as you say, the backup lights come on. I would imagine that the GM experts would know that us DIY’ers aren’t that smart and it takes a bit more information than simply telling us what to do – we need the “how to do it” with some level of detail included much more than just the what to do. Thanks for the help, even if if was really to force me to think through the process on my own in a logical fashion to arrive at the correct solution. Happy motoring!
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The previous techs have opted out. Do you still need help on this concern. It appears you have resolved this issue. You have already paid for help here, do you have another concern?

All done. Thanks Moose for the offer. I doubt I will ever use this service again. I expected a lot more from "Experts" than a reference to something that I already found on the internet via a search engine.

Your welcome, sorry you left not pleased. If you think of anything you would like me to help on so you would be pleased with my help and rate my answer, just let me know.