How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask sprinkles08 Your Own Question
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Transmissions
Satisfied Customers: 23110
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
Type Your Transmissions Question Here...
sprinkles08 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Transmission want come out of 1st gear, engine lite on.

Customer Question

transmission want come out of 1st gear , engine lite on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: jeep has been parked for several days due to weather, run fine when parked.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like your transmission is in limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue that could cause damage or it thinks it doesn't have complete control it will lock you in a single gear, often second gear.

There are many possible causes for limp in ranging from speed sensors, solenoids, pressure switches, wiring, the trans controller itself, and internal transmission issues. The first thing that will need to be done is use a scan tool or code reader to see what codes are setting in the trans controller.

What year and model is the vehicle?

Do you know what codes are setting?