Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 dodge 2500 4x4 but the 4x4 does nothing. The…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 dodge...
I have a 2007 dodge 2500 4x4 but the 4x4 does nothing. The lights on the cluster won't even come on. Even when you first turn ignition on the 4x4 lights won't come on at all at any time. All was fine till I had new tcase installed and 2 clutches put in tranny.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
Oh reverse lights don't work either.
1/24/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Anytime there is a problem with the 4X4 system the computer system should pick up and detect a problem and when this happens the system should set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what has failed you are going to need to start with having the system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. I would suggest since you just had the transfer cases installed that you return to the installer and have him recheck his work . Its likely both the 4X4 issue as well as the reverse light problem are related due to something not done properly during the install.

I have already checked for codes there is nothing.

Its unusual there are not any codes. Are you scanning with a full scan tool or a code reader. A code reader will not always retrieve these codes.

Star scan tool.

Is this a full scan tool or a code reader?

It can do it all even flash pcm tipm ect.

Well with out having any fault codes to go by I am not sure how to advise you on the correct repair. If you would like, I can open the post back up and see if there may be someone else that has something to offer.

Please or if you had the full wiring schematic on 4x4 system that would help me as well can't find it anywhere.
Transmission Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST:

I’m a retired master technician and tech instructor with over 30 years experience. However, if you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help if you…

… don’t have tools or the skills to use them

… don’t know there will probably be some special tools and equipment needed for a proper diagnosis

… don’t realize it may take a few back and forth replies to solve the issue

… don’t understand that I will need you to provide specific information

Perhaps I can help, but to do so I'd need additional information from you:

First, I need to know what exactly is it that we're working on; 5.9L diesel or 5.7L gasoline? Auto or std trans? Electronic or manual transfer case circuit?

Second, we need to see if there's something wrong with the CAN BUS. To that effect, can you communicate with any of the modules using the Starscan? If so, can you see if the TIPM is supplying 5 volt reference to the shift motor/mode sensor assembly?

6.7 cummins with 68rfe. Mainly what I need to know is what would cause 4x4 indicator lights to not come on at all ever.
Is there a computer strictly for the tcase

There are two things that can cause those lights to come on:

• lack of power or ground
  • lack of command signal between modules

Both of those things can quickly and easily be determined using the Starscan as I previously asked. Once the cause is established, we can go to the pertinent circuits and connections to find and repair the issue. Without that data from the Starscan it would be a matter of retracing every step of whatever work was done previously that caused the issue.

Best Regards.

The only thing I can pull up is the reverse is not sending signal of any kind. Would that affect the 4x4
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I'm sorry, but I don't have anything else to offer that could help you solve this issue. I'll opt out in the hopes another expert can help. Please don't reply until the other expert responds or the site will reevert the request back to me.

Best Regards.