Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just put in new clutch and it engages great but shifter wont…

Customer Question
Just put in new...

Just put in new clutch and it engages great but shifter wont go side to side

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Shift linkage for going side to side 1 and 2 to 5 and reverse

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
the clutch engeages and disengages when you press and release the clutch pedal
shifter is stuck in fourth gear
is anyone there
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). All experts are independent contractors here at Just Answer none are employees, we do not get a paycheck or benefits from JA. We work for the customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Can I get the year, make, and model?

2003 hundia tiburon gt v6 manual transmission
5 speed

Thanks, ***** ***** you to remove the shift linkage from the transaxle. Now manually by hand see if you can get the trans to engage every gear. If so then its not a concern in the trans, a concern with the linkage or shifter. If it will not shift then its a issue inside the trans and it will need to come back out and apart to address the shift rods inside. Can you do this and let me know the results so I can help more depending on the concern inside or outside the transaxle.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I only receive a portion of your deposit when you rate. If you do not rate or rate bad, the website keeps all of the deposit you have already paid.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

The shift rod that allows the shifter to go side to side does not move the shift for odd that Elec Ford and back
Side to side between first and second third and fourth and fifth and reverse doesn't work or move nowthe shift rod that goes up and backwards moves freely
Shiftrod with the counter weight on it it moves freely the other one is stuck
U still there

Did you disconnect the linkage at the transaxle and manually tried to shift into each gear.

the one linkage that doesnt have a counterweight on it doesnt move but one does

Since the concern is in the transaxle, it will not move and while disconnected the shifter will move this means the trans needs to be removed and taken apart. Have you ever done that?

everthing was moving fine before we switched out the clutch . just the clutch disc was bad

Once you get the trans back out, below is a link showing the shift control and rods and shift forks so you can get it apart to see what is messed up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/shiftcontrol.pdf

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris