Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 tundra 4x4 four-wheel drive light is flashing.
,

Customer Question
2007 tundra 4x4 four-wheel...

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The four wheel drive is not engaging, and when i switch it to four-wheel high it just flashes and want quit flashing unless i disconnect the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2016
Transmission Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago
Jeromy Madison

Hello, are you still having issues with your 4x4 system?

Transmission Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, I have seen this many times.

Has it been a while since you have used the four wheel drive?

it has.
Transmission Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok. this is common.

The actuator in these vehicle will get stuck from not using them. You can remove it and try to power it up remotely to see if you can free it up, but usually it will need to be replaced. They are an electric actuator and they tend to freeze up if not used regularly.

Can I remove it without having to pull the transfer-case. It does sit on top. Correct?
Transmission Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes, you can remove it.

Let me see if I can find instructions.

That would be a blessing. Thanks so much
Transmission Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Actually, I was just looking and I remembered that you can't just remove the actuator without splitting the transfer case.

The forks that are connected to the inside have to unbolted.

If you remove the bolts holding the actuator in it will move out a few inches but not come out of the case.

I would remove the actuator for the front differential and make sure that it is working correctly first.

This system is kind of a nightmare and everything has to be in the perfect place or the computer locks up.