sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2011 jeep wrangler with automatic trans that will

Customer Question

I have a 2011 jeep wrangler with automatic trans that will not up shift when hot first gear and reverse work ok
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if your transmission is going into limp in. If the trans controller sees an issue it thinks can cause damage or thinks it doesn't have complete control then it will lock you in a single gear.

There are many things that can cause the trans to go into limp in including the speed sensors, solenoids, wiring, internal trans issues and the transmission control module itself.

The first thing that will need to be done is use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting, from there it may take electrical testing while the problem is happening to know for sure what is going on.