Gm Tech Cam
Gm Tech Cam, Service Technician
Experience:  11 years experience, specializing in Trans, Elec and Dmax
10949255

We have a 2000 Silverado 4x4 in the shop. Was a push button

Customer Question

Customer: Hi this is Bob. We have a 2000 Silverado 4x4 in the shop. Was a push button auto transfer case. Someone switched it to a manual floor shift transfer case. Now the speedometer doesn't work. I looked on the pass side of the transfer case where the speed sensor is located on auto transfer case trucks, and there is nothing there. How can I make speedo work?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you need to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

what is the year of the transfer case you are using?

does that transfer case not have a speed sensor anywhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim sorry I had trouble receiving your email. We got the speedometer to work. There were 2 plugs in the wiring harness that both fit the speed sensor on the transfer case. We switched the wires and it worked. Now the issue is that since the auto 4x4 transfer case and encoder motor have been replaced with a manual transfer case, I keep getting the "service 4wd" message in the dash cluster. Is there any way to get rid of this?
Expert:  Gm Tech Cam replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.

Getting rid of the service 4wd will not be easy. Because you have the whole truck expecting the transfer case module to be there and working and it sees a problem, its providing that signal over the network. You can try clipping the dark green white wire at the transfer case module, connector 1 pin e9 and see if that makes it stop. If not then you will have to program out the auto system or change out the cluster for one that’s not expecting the 4d system there.