Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

95 gmc k1500, 5.7l manual transmission. Got it in Feb 2014.

Customer Question
Won't go into 4WD. I...
Won't go into 4WD. I found that there is a fuse (#2 on the block) labeled "T Case" but there is no fuse there. In fact one of the 2 metal spring like things that pinch the prongs of the fuse in that port is missing.
I'm not sure I ever had it in 4WD because I was never in that bad of a road condition until I tried to move in the snow a week or so ago. I know that the 4WD lights on the indicator by the 4WD shifter has never lit up.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Transmissions
12/15/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

If one of the connectors is missing you probably have a manual transfer case. Do you have a switch on dash or lever on the floor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a manual transfer case with a lever on the floor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not a professional but I have rebuilt a few engines and done a lot of mechanical things to vehicles this old or older. I am also a DirecTV technician with, what I consider to be, an analytical mind. I know enough NOT to mess with things attached to electronics that I might screw up. My customers frequently try to fix our dish themselves. They are rarely successful and further complicate my troubleshooting. That's why I asked. When I got this truck (the same model I had at one time new), I bought a set of GM manuals for it but They are written for you guys and I couldn't find some things just because I didn't know where to look I guess. You're faster.

When you shift it into 4WD do you have any noises? Can you tell if the front driveshaft begins to turn?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no and no. I intend to put it on a lift and see if it engages but I live on a slope and I don't think it will stay on jack stands. But I also notice that the 4WD drive lights don't come on and it doesn't resist or increase turn radius when I make a slow full steering wheel turn, like in a parking lot. Every other 4WD vehicle I have had doesn't like to make that turn. I didn't worry about the lights because there are a lot of lights on this thing that don't work...yet. I am going to bring this thing back to new and keep it 'til I die.There is a troubleshooting procedure in one manual saying to put it in 4, turn on the ignition switch but not start it and check for voltage at the actuator connection. Because of the recent weather, I haven't done that yet.

On a lift will be the easiest way to diagnose this. First this is if the driveshaft turns while in 4WD. Weather or not will determine the next steps

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let's assume it doesn't. If there is power to the actuator, I assume it's the actuator and change it. But what if there is not power? I was hoping that the fuse block was the problem but since it wasn't set up to receive the fuse, I was worried that it was a use for an automatic transmission or something, or for a button, as you mentioned. Another thing the manual said was to check the A/C HTR fuse (maybe circuit breaker). My heater and A/C work. I can't decipher the wiring diagrams in the shop manual very well. They don't show any link that I can find to the transfer case.We having fun yet?

If the driveshaft doesnt turn the problem is in the transfer case not the front end. If it does turn the problem is in the front end and not the transfer case. Normally the transfer case will not give power to the actuator unless the driveshaft turns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. I'll get back to you when I can check that. There's about 1 foot of blowing snow in my driveway and it won't fit in my garage so it'll be a while before I can check that.Thanks
Ted

I will be awaiting your response

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician