Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Transmission slipping, hard shifting, sport light flashing.

Customer Question
Check engine light on. Cruise...
Transmission slipping, hard shifting, sport light flashing. Check engine light on. Cruise control light flashing Pulling codes P0734 Gear 4 incorrect ratio, P0715 input/turbine speed sensor A circuit, P0735 Gear 5 incorrect ratio, P1710 and P0700 Transmission
control system. we had similar problems about 5 months ago and replaced the transmission. Things seemed to be ok for a while and we are right back where we were. When we replaced the transmission previously, there was metal in the pan and black trans fluid..
this car does not have a rev limiter on it, and is pretty fast. Not sure what all is done to it.. Slips when it goes into 5th, like 5th gear isnt even there. Slips in other gears, doesnt want to shift something when its hot. Will shift manually but sport mode
will flash. Not sure if its a TCU issues, speed sensor or another transmission going bad. Please advise. Thanks 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L GAS 4S3BL676054204343
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
12/15/2015
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that you have an internal failure but you have two codes pointing to the input speed sensor. It's possible that you have an input speed snsor wiring issue and the wiring should really be tested, but odds are the input speed sensor is going to need to be replaced. If it's actually slipping into gears then you may have clutch damage or leakage, but with the input speed sensor codes setting the trans is going to be in limp in. You may be perceiving limp in as the trans slipping, the speed sensor issue should be repaired and the problem re evaluated.

How do we test the speed sensor? Can We check it on our snap on scan tool by checking input and output sensor?Can you tell me where the sensor is, what it looks like, how to test it. What wires from what end to what end to test.? I know how to check voltage and continuity with a multi meter. Thanks
where is the sensor located?

The sensor is on the left side of the trans near the front. If you don't see any problems visually I can give wiring information but I am away from my service information until this evening.

I will wait to put it on the lift until I get the diagrams and wiring info please? also how do I check sensor input and rps on the snapon scan tool?

You can verify that the input speed sensor isn't showing RPM with the engine running and trans in park, testing needs to be done at the time the problem is present.

The black wire at the sensor should have ground.

The white wire is the signal wire and goes to pin B16 at the TCM, and will be white/red there. You'd need to at least test for continuity and ensure the circuit isn't shorted to power or ground, a load test would be best.

we dropped it at the dealer. I will let yo know what they say and leave this open in case we have any more questions regarding this issue. Thanks for everything so far buddy

You're welcome!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician