ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

My name is ***** *****, issue is a 2001 325i manual trans.

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, issue is a 2001 325i manual trans. It got jamed in 3rd gear. I am unfamilar with this trans so I figured it jumped the quardrent. I discovered it is not like an American trans so I started to pull it. I've got all the mounts and exhaust and drive shaft down no problem. The bolts on the bellhousing are so tight I cant get them loose even with a good air gun. the top bolts are almost inaccesable and while I could get them I'm afraid they are as tight as the bottom one. Do you have any sugestions or do I pull the motor?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: From what I see the trans has to come out. The bellhousing bolts are tighter than my 300# ***** gun will get I don't want to strip the bolts.Should I pull the motor to have access to9 the bolts? and once it is out what could cause the trans to jam in 3rd gear?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to BMW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I have uploaded directions for you. You lower the trans and engine until the cylinder head rests on the bulkhead