Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2003 dakota 4wd 5 speed manual shifts from 2wd to 4

Customer Question
hi easily but the switch...
my 2003 dakota 4wd 5 speed manual shifts from 2wd to 4 hi easily but the switch from 4 hi to 4 low or back can take up to 5 minutes
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
12/12/2015
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Tire circumference differences can cause the transfer case to remain in four wheel drive after it has been shifted out but if you have an electronic transfer case then it may just be a matter of using proper shift procedure.

Do you have an electronic or manual transfer case?

tires are the same size
it shifts electronically
the only trouble is from hi to low range while in***** Sluggish as I mentioned in my original question.
Solenoid?

Can you describe the exact procedure you're using to shift?

while stopped, i move the dashboard selector switch from*****hi range to*****hi range and it changes immediately. The problem is when I try to change from*****hi range to*****low range. This action can be very sluggish. It can take up to 5 minutes to change; either going to low range or from low range to hi range. Gentle rocking of the truck does NOT seem to affect the process.

You can't shift into and out of four low when stopped. That's why the shift isn't completing correctly. The driveshaft has to be turning for the splines to line up and the shift to complete.

To shift into and out of four low you need to be on a flat surface where you can roll forward in a straight line.

With the trans in first gear and in four high, rolling about 5 MPH, move the switch to four low.

Press the clutch and allow the truck to coast without pressing the brake. As you pass through 2-3 MPH then the transfer case module will initiate the shift. Once you feel the hard clunk and the four low light comes on then you can release the clutch again.

Thanks I will try that.
I am replacing the pilot bearing and clutch now so will have the chance to test your method in a couple of days.

Great!

done with clutch. It works well. Shift from 4 hi to 4 low ( or the opposite)is the same after trying your method of shifting. I discovered that after coming to a slow rolling stop the 4 low light was still blinking and if I shut the truck off and restarted, it would shift immediately. Interesting!

Do you have a scan tool that will communicate with the transfer case module?

I will see if I get any codes.

Great!