sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Here I have a 92 f150 4x4. It wont engage the front wheels.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** ***** here I have a 92 f150 4x4 . It wont engage the front wheels. the 4x4 hi dash light wont come on and the 4x4 low light comes on but its not engaged still.???? all looks and feels fine. Its the old linkage shiter type on the floor. thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the linkage moves freely the hubs are locked but its not locking in
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i,ll wait thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you've verified the hubs are locked and the front wheels don't pull in four wheel drive then the problem could be an issue in the transfer case or the front differential. Stripped splines or a spider/side gear problem in the front differential will prevent power from being transmitted, as will a failure of the chain or geartrain components in the transfer case.

With it in four wheel drive, engine off and in park are you able to turn the front driveshaft by hand?